Bluets- Quaker Ladies
Bluets- Quaker Ladies
Quaker Ladies Are a Beautiful Classic Flower That Welcomes Spring
Houstonia Caerulea plants are small, delicate wildflowers that are a native species to North America. Their striking blue or light purple blossoms in the mid to late spring make these annuals a favorite for gardeners. They flourish in USDA growing zones 3 to 8. Plant them in filtered to full sunshine; they can tolerate some shade if you ensure they receive about six hours of daylight to produce their flowers.
Quaker Ladies, the common name, refers to the Quakers, a religious group that is known for their plain dress and simple lifestyle. The petals of this plant form a flower head that reminds some people of the plain bonnets and caps worn by Quaker women.
The flowers are hardy, drought-resistant, and disease-resistant. They don’t require much care—simply plant them in soil that drains quickly, keep mulch or peatmoss around them, and give them a sip of water if you have an extensive dry spell.
Quaker Ladies Are a Beautiful Blue or Purple, and Add Color to the Springtime Landscape
Quaker Ladies leaves are an attractive green color and a long narrow shape with a somewhat toothy edge. The multi-stemmed plants can grow as tall as four inches high. They bloom in the spring, bringing beautiful tones of light purple, lavender, or blue and have a soft floral fragrance. Quaker Ladies are a well-adjusted, easy-growing species that works in many settings.
Here are a few wonderful ways to put them to good use in your garden:
- Mass plantings: These flowers last for several weeks, sometimes into early June. After that, the green foliage looks lovely until fall. These can add much interest to a home’s foundation or in any mass planting.
- Water garden: Quaker Ladies love rich, organic soil like you might have near a water garden.
- Accent flowers in a cottage garden: They will stay small, so they will not block a fantastic view or detract from your focal point.
- Rock garden or natural area: These dainty flowering perennials are lovely in any natural setting.
- Garden border: These are appropriate flowers for the front row of a garden border. Mix them with later-blooming flowers for a continuous wave of color all summer long.
Order Your Quaker Ladies From Wholesale Nursery Today
Houstonia Caerulea is a beautiful perennial wildflower that will add color to the late spring garden, then provide lovely, low-growing greenery the remainder of the season. These blossoms are well worth the little time it takes to care for them—please place your order with us today.
We dig fresh our plants and ship immediately. We ship US Mail, Priority shipping. You will receive a tracking number once your plants ship. All plants will be fine in their packages for up to 3 days after receiving.
How We Protect Your Plants For Transit
We sell only bare root plants. We dip the roots in tera-sorb silicone gel to retain ample moisture for transit and surround with plastic. This is superior protection for plants in transit for up to 12 days.
Upon Receipt Of Your Plants
Open your plants and inspect the same day received. We offer 3 days to report any problems with your order. Bare root plants need to be planted within 2-3 days of receiving unless weather-related problems prohibit planting. Store in a cool place and keep roots moist and covered with plastic until they can be planted. Water for the first week daily after planting.