Moss In Landscaping Is More Than an Evergreen Ground Cover
Much of the targeted marketing that influences home and business owners is predicated on the idea that you are a consumer who will continue to buy goods and materials. Vibrant images lead property owners to believe that thick green lawns are an absolute must. Of course, you will need to make lifelong purchases that include better seeds, fertilizers, mowers, weed whackers, and perhaps worst of all, pesticides. An enviable green lawn ranks among the least sustainable aspects of today’s landscape.
That’s why environmentally conscious nurseries encourage property owners to consider employing moss to complete their grounds. Moss has proven ecological and landscape benefits that have flown under the radar. When a plant nursery posts a “Moss For Sale” sign, home and business owners are being asked to make a one-time purchase. Perhaps nothing worries fertilizer and pesticide corporations more than a TN nursery offering an inexpensive way to beautify a property without spending money year after year. If you are concerned about the environment and want to save money on property upkeep and maintenance, the following information about moss could be a game-changer.
Ecological Benefits of a Moss Lawn or Garden
Author Annie Martin makes a convincing argument in her work, “The Magical World of Moss Gardening,” that going green with moss is in everyone’s best interest. She points out that mosses come in a wide variety of species, and they are more inclined to convert C02 into oxygen. Include the fact that grass-based lawns are usually mowed on a routine basis, and moss can far outpace them in terms of green efficiency. From an environmental and practical standpoint, these are other reasons that home and business owners can do their part by converting to moss lawns and gardens.
- No Pollutants: Moss landscapes do not require hazardous fertilizers or pesticides to maintain color vibrancy. In fact, fertilizers and pesticides would likely damage moss beds. Homeowners who plant tracts of moss can eliminate risky chemicals that seep into the water supply and pose a threat to children and pets.
- Water Conservation: It’s no secret that communities are struggling with rising water costs. The hot Tennessee summers often require home and business owners to water lawns frequently, or they turn brown. Moss requires less water to look healthy, and that helps community members with conservation efforts and save money.
- Carbon Sequestration: The world’s mosses soak up more carbon dioxide than the combined acreage of all the rainforests. They sequester and estimated 200-500 billion tons of carbon and represent a powerful force to prevent environmental devastation.
- Reduce Dust: Families members who struggle with allergies will be pleased to discover that moss naturally decomposes dust and contaminants. Rather than kicking up dust and chemicals when mowing the grass lawn, mosses convert them into harmless matter.
Any pragmatic TN nursery understands that everyday people want their properties to be both sustainable and look appealing. Although grass marketing tends to be making almost unnoticeable distinctions between types, moss lawns and gardens open a wealth of possibilities.
Top Moss Types for Lawns & Gardens
Home and commercial property owners interested in improving their landscapes are often surprised to discover that moss can outpace grass in terms of flexible use and beautification. It may prove helpful to conduct some due diligence about these and other popular lawn mosses.
- Carpet Moss: This type is widely used in areas with thin trees. It covers the ground and converts areas that would otherwise be brown with leaves and pine needles into lush landscapes.
- Hypnum Sheet Moss: This type can completely replace grass lawns under the right lighting conditions. Along with needing virtually no maintenance, it can grow right up to the base of trees. Moss lawns tend to be more green than grass lawns in many cases.
Mosses used in the place of grass lawns highlight how vast an area they can effectively cover. But there are wide-reaching varieties that can be infused into existing gardens. For example, spot moss plantings help gardeners create a sense of texture that accentuates gardens.
If you want to do your part for the environment and enjoy a beautiful landscape, our TN nursery has a wide variety of moss for sale. Contact our plant nursery today and speak with a customer care professional about the best moss options for your grounds and personal preferences.
A Variety of Moss is For Sale from TN Nursery with Quick Shipping and Low Prices
Check our our other affiliates